My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Peanutty Chocolate Chip Quinoa Muffins

I have been experimenting with quinoa, much to the dismay of my husband who doesn't mind the taste but has a problem with the texture.  Quinoa is quite popular with those eating a Paleo diet and the fitness crowd due to its protein content.  So, I set about looking for recipes using quinoa that my husband might like.  I came across Jen Nikolaus' recipe for Chocolate Chip Quinoa Muffins that looked tantalizingly delicious.  I decided to tweak her recipe into something similar but different. 

peanutty chocolate chip quinoa muffins
Jen's original recipe is for a lovely chocolate chip The addition of peanut butter not only adds flavour, it adds protein.  Almond flour also adds protein.
muffin that incorporates the health benefits of quinoa.   I took that a step further by using the popular combination of chocolate and peanut butter for my deliciously health peanutty chocolate chip quinoa muffins.  Her version used canola oil which is a GMO, something we avoid.  I replaced it with organic peanut butter.  Jen's original recipe came in at 258 cal, 41 g carbohydrates, 9 g fat, 6 g protein, 186 mg sodium and 3 g fibre muffin.  My version comes in at 246 calories, 32 g carbohydrates, 11 g fat, 8 g protein 141 mg sodium and 4 g fibre per muffin.  I would still like to get the carbohydrate content a bit lower which would reduce the caloric value as well.  I will share that recipe as soon as the testing is finished.  In the meantime, I hope you enjoy this healthy, tasty muffin!



0 food lovers commented: