My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Pecans

I wrote about flea market food a couple of days ago.  The flea markets we have visited both here, while traveling and at our vacation home have been meccas for delicious foods.  Most of them have large sections where you can buy local produce and fresh baked bread at very reasonable prices.  Some of them have indoor sections where you can buy fresh meats, cheeses and eggs.  I have discovered some really need foodie finds at the flea markets like chicharron de harina, prickly pear, boiled peanuts and sugar cane.

fresh pecans
My husband's sister and our nephew visited us over the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend while we were at our vacation home.  We took them to one of our favourite flea markets.  This is a larger flea market with a wonderful selection of foodie finds!

There is a large Latino population in the general vicinity of our vacation home which means we can find a lot of Latino ingredients at the flea markets.  They generally are very inexpensive and while I can't take a lot back to our home in Ontario, I do manage to bring back a few things.  Florida, of course is known for it's citrus fruit so there are some rather good bargains on citrus fruits at the flea markets.  Florida borders on Georgia, home to peanut and pecan growers.  We stopped in Georgia on one of the trips   we drove down to Florida.  I bought pecans for a couple of our kids but never bought any for ourselves as I thought they were a bit costly.  A booth at the flea market was selling fresh, cracked pecans for $3.  I'd say there was about 2 lb worth of pecans.  The shells had be cracked just enough to open them for easy eating.

When we got back to our vacation home, I poured the pecans into a serving bowl then set on the table for impromptu snacking.  Was that ever a popular bowl!  They were delicious.  I should have brought some home with me.  I definitely will be buying some to bring home during our winter vacation.


0 food lovers commented: