My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Friday, January 13, 2012

Baked Cod with Bacon Wrapped Scallops

My husband and I both love our beef but we also eat fish once or twice a week, sometimes more often.  By far, we enjoy locally caught fish (eg. perch, bass, pickerel) on a regular basis.  Next to that is cod and Atlantic wild salmon.  Cod is traditionally used in beer battered, deep-fried, English style fish but cod can also be pan fried, baked or grilled.  I buy a good portion of the cod fillets we consume from Elite Gourmet Food Service.  True to their word, this is some of the best cod available. 

baked cod with bacon wrapped scallops
I made a simple seafood dinner consisting of baked cod and bacon wrapped Digby scallops.  Now, bacon wrapped scallops are usually served as an appetizer.  I decided to serve them as part of the main course instead along with a simple baked potato.  It was a very easy, oven based dinner that was surprising a lot more filling than it first appeared.  An orange sauce would have been nice on the cod which reminds me I need to can up a few jars.

Some of the very best scallops come from Digby, Nova Scotia.  I can order fresh scallops from the fisheries there that will arrive at my doorstep the following day for about $85 dollars with shipping which works out to $1 per scallop.  The local grocery store price is about $2 per scallop.  I can also buy from Elite Gourmet Food Services a 5 lb box for $115.  While that sounds expensive that box will last us for quite some time because we tend to use scallops as an accent flavour to add a bit of something special to the meal (aka a treat).  I should note that my husband could easily polish of a box of scallops or a couple of pounds when I buy them fresh.  I like the sweetness of scallops and while I do enjoy scallops, I do not share his enthusiasm for them.   

Cod is very, very easy to bake.  Simple place the cod fillets in a baking dish.  Top with a little butter and seasonings (optional) then bake at 350ºF until opague.  They are ready for serving.  Top with orange or lemon glaze or serve simply with homemade tartar sauce.


Simple Homemade Tartar Sauce
note: I do not measure

Miracle Whip or mayonnaise
prepared yellow mustard
sweet pickle relish

Place about 1 c of Miracle Whip in a mixing bowl.  Squeeze about a half tsp of mustard on top then about 2 tbsp of relish.  Mix well.  Adjust the flavour if necessary by adding more relish. 


0 food lovers commented: