My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Monday, October 10, 2011

Frugal Kitchens 101 - Entertaining for Large Groups

Frugal Kitchens 101

Happy Thanksgiving!

Today we celebrate our Canadian Thanksgiving.  There will be between twenty-five and thirty of us, hosted in our new home.  Yes we recently moved and because we were on our fall vacation for two an a half weeks the house is not perfect but we felt it is more personal than renting a hall as was suggested.  We are used to hosting larger groups with one monthly event of fifteen to thirty as well as larger family gatherings. Here's a few tips for entertaining for large groups on the frugal side.
  • KISS (keep it simple silly) - The KISS hypothesis really works when entertaining for large groups.  Less is more in the sense of dishes offered.  I have place settings for 30 but sometimes going to paper plates is a good idea depending on the venue. 
  • don't refuse help - Trust me I am the queen of my kitchen but for larger events a bit of help is always appreciated.  If someone offers to help, graciously accept even if you need to slightly modify the help offered,
  • use disposable - I don't like disposable anything and have service for thirty but even at that there are sometimes disposable is better than anything else.  
  • enlist help - I have no problem hosting for thirty but I am not above asking for help.  It is not impolite to say, I need help for this event.
  • everyone brings something - Ok, this is not my idea and in fact when hosting an event there are very few times I would want a guest to bring anything because that is not our style.  But sometimes like our Thanksgiving feast each couple was responsible for bringing one dish.  It works and it does take a bit of the burden off of the host. 


0 food lovers commented: