My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

November's Keeper Recipes


It would be nice if I could look back over a month's worth of meals and say they are all keepers.  The reality is many are tried and true keepers to begin with while the rest are new recipes or new ways to cook a tried and true dish.  I thought I would introduce a new feature called monthly picks to highlight two new dishes or new cooking methods I tried that have made it into the keeper category.  That doesn't mean other dishes I made throughout the month aren't keepers only that the two chosen really impressed me in some way.  November's picks are beef noodle bowl and slow cooker rib roast.
  • beef noodle bowl - What really struck me about this dish was the versatility.  It was quick, easy and low cost to put together and yet easily modified.  This dish itself definitely falls into the category of comfort food.  It was rich with noodles and flavour, a definite family pleaser!
  • slow cooker rib roast - I make a lot of roasts using the oven, countertop roaster, grill and pressure cooker.  I had never used a slow cooker to cook a roast mainly because I am not a fan of slow cookers.  However, replacing our old slow cooker with a newer model has me learning a lot more about slow cookers.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that beef rib roast came out quite nice using a slow cooker!


2 food lovers commented:

LindaG said...

I will need to do some looking. Here, unfortunately, slow cooker and crock pot have become practically synonymous, even though they aren't really.

Have a great day!

Garden Gnome said...

Hi Linda :) A crock-pot is a slow cooker. Crock-pot is Rival's trade name for slow cooker. I had two 'crock-pots', one just replaced. I now have one 'crock-pot' (Rival) and two slow cookers (not Rival). Essentially they do the same thing except the newest one has a lot more features. My Rival crock-pot and other slow cooker have settings of off, low and high whereas the new Hamilton Beach slow cooker has the probe and is programmable. I'm sure that Rival has a similar 'crock-pot' version of the Hamilton Beach. You are right though that the terms are synonymous much the same as Xerox and photocopy.