My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Bacon Potato Salad

I usually make most dips from scratch so the question always arises what to do with the leftover dip.  A little thinning down with milk or water easily turns leftover dip into a salad dressing.  Left as is the dip can be stirred into mashed potatoes for a nice flavour sensation.  I wanted to make a rather spruced up potato salad.  Here's what I came up with.

bacon potato salad
Potato salad is a summertime staple and most times I make it the same way I always do but sometimes adding a bit of sparkle is in order.  I decided to take advantage of a bit of leftovers to create a unique potato salad.  I used the leftover onion and garlic dip that I made using one of my basic dip base of sour cream, cottage cheese and MiracleWhip®.  The end result was a lovely, tasty potato salad with just that extra twist of flavour that  I will definitely be making again.

Method:  I cooked the bacon pieces until browning then drained and steamed the potatoes then let cool.  I combined the potatoes with the bacon then stirred in sliced green onions and fresh chopped chives then stirred in the leftover onion and garlic dip.  I garnished with more fresh chopped chives.

Basic Dip Base

½ c cottage cheese
½ c sour cream
⅓ c MiracleWhip® salad dressing
1 finely chopped green onion
1 - 2 tsp herb or seasoning blend of choice

Place the first three ingredients and herb or seasoning blend into a mason jar if using the mason jar blender method or into the blender if not using this method.  Blend until smooth.  Remove from blender.  Stir in green onion.  Refrigerate 1 hour to allow flavours to meld. 

Note: This basic dip base is easily modified for both flavour and texture.  Add 2 tbsp of milk when blending to make a creamy salad dressing.


4 food lovers commented:

w0rkingAth0mE said...

I love eating pasta and salad, i tried this potato salad before but we don't use bacon anyway, must try your recipe, thanks

LindaG said...

Even looks tasty to me and I have never liked potato salad. ;)
Thanks again! :)

Garden Gnome said...

You're welcome :) It is a tasty salad for sure!

Self Sagacity said...

I will have to try this, it looks so good. My SO really loves potatoes salad.