My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Rice Stuffed Meatloaf

I have made several stuffed meatloafs over the years. It starts with a simple idea of how to present the same foods in a bit of a different way. I like using stuffings because when cut the meatloaf reveals a surprise. The nice thing is a wide variety of stuffings can be uses like a potato mixture in the vegetable stuffed meatloaf. This time I had an idea using sticky rice so proceeded to cook the rice then construct the meatloaf.

rice stuffed meatloaf baked with problemBaked/Problem

This meatloaf idea worked perfectly in my mind but was a nightmare to execute! I made the rice then realized it had to be cooled before using as a layer but sticky rice sticks together so spreading while cooled wouldn't work. The solution was to spread the hot rice on a Silpat® baking sheet, press into a layer then let cool. Once the rice was cooled I set about creating my layers of prepared meatloaf, spinach, cheese and rice on a sheet of wax paper. Rolling the loaf proved to be a two person, rather frustating ordeal!

The filling kept breaking through the meat layer. Then the wax paper started sticking. We finally got the loaf into a baking dish and fixed the break throughs as best as possible. I baked the meatloaf at 200ºC/400ºF until cooked through, about 45 minutes. Surprisingly the resulting meat loaf did not look too bad. There was one break-out (red arrow) so the meatloaf wasn't picture perfect but that doesn't really matter if the end result is good tasting food.

rice stuffed meatloafRice Stuffed Meatloaf

My original plan for this meatloaf was a well defined spiral pattern. I was disappointed when the loaf first came out of the oven but cutting revealed a fairly well defined swirl so I was happy with that outcome. This meatloaf cut like a dream with nice clean lines. I used shredded mozzarella cheese left-over from Superbowl Sunday that didn't give the contrast that orange cheddar would have. I liked the way the spinach came out.

Despite not being the most perfect picture food the meatloaf was very tasty! The sticky rice really added to the texture so this will be something I will try again. I already have another plan in the making so watch for another stuffed meatloaf coming soon.


5 food lovers commented:

Frugal New England Kitchen said...

This sounds yummy. Have you tried using parchment paper for baking? I use it for cookies and calzones, and nothing sticks to it. You can put it right in the oven too!

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

You got a great photo out of the slice you are shwing... always tough to do, but is fun when it works!

CDC said...

I think it looks great! I'm sorry it was so frustrating to make - I'm glad you didn't give up!!

Garden Gnome said...

Hi Cindi, yes I quite often use parchment paper. I'll have to try that next time as the waxpaper didn't work well :(

Garden Gnome said...

Thanks Dave :) Photographing food is a lot more difficult that you would think.