My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Frog Legs

Despite loving to travel and eat out I am very much a home cook. One of the first things I want to do after being away from home for more than a couple of days is to get back into the kitchen for some home cooking. Quite often I try to duplicate a dish we enjoyed while away. We arrived home mid week the last extended road trip so I was anxious to be back in the kitchen but those plans were thwarted. We were invited out on the Friday to an all-you-can eat fried perch and frog leg dinner. Now we just couldn't say no to that delicious invite!

tossed garden saladSalad

There was a small salad bar with limited offerings but I just have to have a salad with dinner. I ended up getting iceberg lettuce with red onions topped with French dressing, a couple of croutons and a light sprinkling of bacon bits with a few celery sticks on the side. I know it wasn't much in the way of salads but you don't always need a fancy salad with a lot of ingredients to satisfy the salad craving. Sometimes simple is better when it comes to salad.

This really is a bad time of year where we live to get good salads. Fresh produce has to be shipped in. Most of it has little flavour and/or nutrition but it is better than nothing especially when eating out.

breaded fried frog legsFrog Legs

Frog legs are something I have not cooked at home and that isn't because I don't want to. I love frog legs! Contrary to the common they taste like chicken, they don't. I have not found frog legs in the stores in our area. I do know you can catch fresh bullfrogs to use for frog legs and believe me one of these days I am going to simply because I really do want to make them at home. I'm sure my husband will be thrilled helping me catch bullfrogs. It will be right up on his list of priorities as fishing is and trust me fishing is beat out by just about everything in life. He leaves the fishing to me. Back to bullfrogs, I do have a nearby pond I'm going to checkout this summer and in the meantime will be making a few phone calls to round up a source for frog legs.

Frog legs are lightly breaded or coated then deep-fried much the same as chicken. They have a distinctive taste and texture with each leg having about as much meat as a chicken wing with tip. The flavour is delicate enough that stronger seasonings will overpower the taste and come to think about it I've never had frog legs that were highly seasoned. The texture is almost what I would call al dente definitely with just a bit of resistance when bit but followed by almost a melt in your mouth. It's not quite seafood and not quite poultry but somewhere in between, so quite unique in both texture and flavour.


2 food lovers commented:

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

My family is from the ozarks in Missouri... frog legs were very common there. haven't had them in years. Thanks for the memory jog

Garden Gnome said...

You're welcome :)