My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Canada Remembers

I come from a strong military family with ancestors that were instrumental in shaping the history of Canada. I grew up surrounded by relatives who had fought for this country. Some of them made the ultimate sacrifice and while they are no longer here they live forever in our memories. If this video does not bring tears to your eyes, nothing will. On the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month we honour our fallen with 2 minutes silence from shore to shore of our great nation, Canada. Please join our nation in showing our respect and how thankful we are for enjoying the freedom they fought so hard for. May we never forget!



Remembrance Day Tribute
courtesy of
Global TV Edmonton


6 food lovers commented:

threesidesofcrazy said...

Very nice tribute.

Anonymous said...

I feel for the families of the 98 Canadian soldiers who have died in Afghanistan. Kandahar may be 10,000 kilometers from British Columbia but those soldiers died defending our freedoms.

Lori said...

I garden gnome. I'll remember alongside you. Very lovely tribute.

I've just started my own food blog, though mine leans more toward the meatless variety. Please stop by. I'd like to link with you (especially after seeing that mango chutney recipe!).

Garden Gnome said...

Thanks Tamy :)

Garden Gnome said...

Go Nanaimo, for some reason folks think Remembrance Day is for just those veterans of WWI or WWII but that is not the case. It is for all veterans for all wars since Canada became a nation in 1867 and for those like me it goes well back to those who lost their lives making Canada a nation.

Garden Gnome said...

Thanks Lori. I stopped by your blog. Your recipes look lovely so I will be trying some of them. Exchanging links is not a problem. I will add your blog link to my blog.

Take care,