My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Monday, June 16, 2008

Homecanned Asparagus Revisited

A brief update on my kitchen: Today marks the start of the third week of renovations. The kitchen is not put back together yet although the staining is finished and the last of the doors are in the process of getting their final finish coats. Weather has dramatically impeded the process because most of the staining and finishing was being done in the garage where hot and humid conditions affected both application and drying times. This sink and hinges have not arrived yet but we expect them later today or tomorrow. We will be starting the countertops and walls Wednesday.

By now you are likely tired of hearing about Las Vegas but I do have at least one more post to share with you sometime this week. There has been a lot of activity going on in the kitchen despite the total chaos. Anyone who home preserves knows that whether the kitchen is torn apart or not the preserving must go on. It is more important when preserving fruits or vegetables in season.

Asparagus

Asparagus is in season right now so the price is good. I had to buy mine this year because my asparagus bed has not been established here yet. For those who don't grow asparagus, a bed takes 3 to 4 years to become established. After that the bed just gets better when properly maintained. Asparagus does not grow well in containers so this is not a good plant if container gardening.

Despite the kitchen turmoil of having no drawers or cupboards in the kitchen I had no choice but to do up asparagus. Asparagus is one of those things that really is best fresh but freezes some what nicely. I can a half load or so, method here. Please note the altitude changes for altitudes higher than 1,000 ft above sea level. I know some eat canned asparagus but seriously I don't care for it as a ready to serve vegetable. What I can it for is to use for Cream of Asparagus Soup. We went through enough of this soup that I will likely can another small batch of asparagus.

Strawberries are also in season so I will be making jam but this year with a bit of a twist to I will point you to the original recipe as well as the new recipe so do watch for that coming soon. Watermelon is also in season so I will post how I put up watermelon later this week. Oh and tomorrow's post is about doughnuts :)


0 food lovers commented: