My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Guest Blog by Caleb of RamenDays

Many readers may not realize that bloggers form online communities. We get to know one and other, comment on each other's blogs and help each other out when we can. I joined Entrecard (see sidebar under Today's Dinner Guests) a few months ago and have had an opportunity to chat with other bloggers. Since my kitchen is torn apart although less so than the past couple of weeks a guest blogger sounded ideal. To become a guest blogger on this blog please see the instructions at the end of the guest blog.

I came across Caleb and Tory-T's blog, RamenDays. When I saw they were interested in doing a guest blog entry I contacted them. Caleb sent me a recipe with a lot of step-by-step photos. I accepted the article so I hope you enjoy their contribution. If you have a chance please stop by and say hello to them. Their style is a bit different than mine but the end result is still good food. So please welcome Caleb as a guest blogger here today. Thanks so much for your recipe and pictures. I'm sure my readers will enjoy it!

A Bit About RamenDays: Caleb is a bachelor living in San Diego, California who is learning to cook. He was disappointed at the lack of step-by-step cooking instructions and I can't say as I blame him especially when learning to cook. He started blogging his adventures on RamenDays. The chef's introductions are not clear as to how Tory-T as far as cooking but I think they must be friends. Their slogan is Getto Recipes. Good Eatin'...Food for Your Mouth, Food for Thought.

Enjoy!

Garden Gnome
©2006-2008


THE EASIEST MEAL IN THE ENTIRE WORLD
Greetings human beings, Mom's Cafe Home Cooking has blessed me with letting me bless her audience with a recipe from my fun bag. Let me give you a little background on this recipe. Yes, the rumors you heard on CNN and NBC are true, I am a bachelor. As you fellow bachelor (and bachelorettes) know, we have to fend for ourselves no matter how weathered the storm is. Who here comes home after a hard day's work only to find a jar of olives waiting for you in the fridge? If you want your life to be a long one, you know you can't eat fast food for the duration of your stay here on Earth. So, I came up with this recipe as a dedication to all my fellow bachelor and bachelorettes of the world. You don't have to spend hours in the kitchen and have a degree in culinary to fend for yourself in the kitchen. I present to you:

"THE EASIEST MEAL IN THE ENTIRE WORLD"

INGREDIANTS

Half pound of beef eye of round steak
Frozen bag of green peas
2 red potatoes
Soy sauce (1.5-2 cups)
Water (.05-1 cup)
Ground pepper (to taste)
Garlic salt (to taste)
Half a white onion (chopped)
3-4 garlic cloves (minced)
Crushed red pepper or Cheyenne pepper (optional for spicy-ness)








Wash your potatoes and let them boil. Poke the potatoes a couple times with a fork so the insides cook thoroughly.



You can tell potatoes are done when the skin starts to crack on its own.



Throw all your soy sauce, water, ground pepper, salt, chopped onion and minced garlic in a small bowl. You don't want to use too wide of a bowl because the marinade will be spread too far apart from the meat. You'll want to use a bowl that allows the ingredients to touch each other so they can play on each other's juices and into the meat.



Wash your hands and massage the meat into the ingrediants for 2 minutes. PLEASE WASH YOUR HANDS! haha.



After 2 minutes.



Put in the fridge for an hour or so.



Transfer everything from the bowl (even the marinade) and boil to cook. Mix every so often.



Cover so that beautiful moisture stays in.



While the meat is cooking throw a bunch of peas in a small pot and cook with a scoop of butter. Add two teaspoons of water to make sure the peas don't dry out while cooking. Stir occasionally. DO NOT cook the peas on high. You want to cook the peas on medium heat and cover so the moisture will stay in the peas. If you don't let moisture get into your peas you'll basically be eating peas with the consistency of dry almonds...not very good at all.




This is how your mixture will look when it's done. The onions and meat will darken.



Serve with rice and pour a little of the sauce on top of the rice for an extra kick.





**NOTE** You can make a batch of the meat marinade and just store it in the fridge overnight. So, when you get home from work you don't have to prepare. You can just pop the mixture in a pot and have a quick meal. Don't let the meat marinade sit in the fridge for more than 2 days because your meat will get too flakey.

Cheers,
Caleb

*****
Please Note:
If you are interested in becoming a guest blogger on this blog please leave a comment and I will email you. The requirements are very simple. The article must be family friendly - no profanity or adult related material! The recipe or dish should be tried and true. If possible please include at least one photo of the recipe or dish sized to 640 x 480. I do not edit pictures your pictures or write-up so please check for grammar and spelling although if I find a blatant error I will contact you to see if you would like it corrected. In return for your guest blog you will receive a brief introduction with a link to your website.

Disclaimer: Submitting an article does not guarantee acceptance. If I don't accept your recipe, photo or article I will clearly tell you why. Acceptance of your recipe, photo or article does not mean I endorse websites with profanity or adult content. It only means I like your recipe, photo or article.

*****

Enjoy!

Garden Gnome
©2006-2008


0 food lovers commented: