My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Friday, May 30, 2008

Taco Salad at Magnolia's

We eat a lot of salad anytime but when vacationing in Las Vegas I think we eat a bit more. It is one of the easiest ways to replenish some of the body water loss. There are so many salad variations to choose from that we never get bored. I just had try the taco salad at Magnolia's Veranda at the Four Queens. It was $5.95 with the player's card, $7.95 without.

Taco Salad

Taco salad is a family favourite served fairly often here. My version can be found here. Really the ingredients are fairly similar for any taco salad but as I found out, the presentation can vary greatly! The taco salad consisted of refried beans, seasoned beef, lettuce, green onions, tomatoes, cheddar cheese, black olives and green chili strips in a tortilla flowerette accompanied by salsa, sour cream and guacamole. The tortilla flowerette was very impressive! It held a lot more taco salad than any one person could eat unless they were extremely hungry.

The tortilla flowerette was deep fried into the shape of a bowl. It would have started out about 18" in diameter before frying. The bowl was about 4" deep on the shallow side and about 7" deep on the deep side. The bottom of the bowl was about 6" then widening nearing the top of the salad. The beef was very lightly seasoned and mixed with the refried beans forming the first layer inside the flowerette. Iceburg lettuce formed the main layer then was topped with black olives, green onions, cheddar cheese, tomatoes and green chili strips. There was ample sour cream, salsa and guacamole.

My only complaint with this salad is is lacked a bit more punch. For such a mouthwatering presentation I expected just a bit more flavour from the ground beef and salsa. Both were very, very mildly seasoned. I would have liked to see a bit of separation between the beef and refried bean simply by not mixing together. The guacamole was also lacking that lime sparkle. If they added just a bit more punch this would be a spectacular salad instead of a very good salad. This simply is a must have salad when in Las Vegas.

I am going to work on frying tortilla shells until I get a suitable but smaller duplicate for serving my version of taco salad in. I will post back on how I made the shells along with temperature and timing so please be sure to check back.


3 food lovers commented:

eastcoastlife said...

This is one awesome way to serve a salad to guests! I love it.

I'm so touched by your messages and prayers for my son. My family and I are very grateful. Thank you. :)

Garden Gnome said...

Hi ECL! I was saddened to hear of your son's illness. Prayers and healing thoughts are with you. I do hope all is well and life gets back to as normal as possible. I keep checking your blog but haven't seen an update yet. Hopefully soon.

Take care,

Anonymous said...

Lovely taco salad. Thanks for the drop!