My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

White Cake


A simple white cake recipe is always perfect recipe as everything is usually on hand. It is pure and simple pantry cooking! It doesn't require fancy toppings or icings either. We like it with a little fresh whipped cream and berries.

This particular recipe has been a family favourite for years. I've tweaked it to where I have it the way I like. It is a rich cake that stands up nicely to fresh berries in syrup. What is nice about this recipe is it makes a smaller cake or 6 large cup cakes.

White Cake
source: unknown but tried and true

1 1/2 c flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c shortening
1 c granulated sugar
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 eggs
3/4 c milk

Mix the dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl, mixt shortening, sugar and eggs. Add vanilla. Add dry ingredients and milk alternately. Beat until smooth. Pour into an 8" x 8" well greased cake pan. Bake 45 minutes at 350ºF (325ºF convection). Top as desired.

My Notes: This recipe works well using silicone pans.


3 food lovers commented:

Casa De Galletti said...

How did it turn out when you used butter instead of shortening? I try to use only butter if possible but if necessary I'll go buy some Crisco.

Garden Gnome said...

Hi Natalie, thanks for stopping by. I have made this recipe with butter instead of shortening. I too use butter whenever possible for the flavour. Butter will make the cake a bit richer. It will change the flavour just slightly but if anything it accents the vanilla.

Casa De Galletti said...

I made this again yesterday. I doubled the recipe because I was cooking one 9 inch round and one 8 inch square (I was making a heart) and I used coconut oil this time. I'm really enjoying it. The temp is warm enough in my house that the coconut oil was totally liquid. The cake has some big air bubbles in the layer just below the top 'crust' and it's a bit dense like a pound cake but it tastes really good. I iced it with a simple buttercream icing that had a touch of mint extract added to it. I'm happy with it and will try baking with the coconut oil again.