My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Freezing Peas From My Garden

As anyone who has read this blog or my gardening blog knows, I garden in raised beds using the square foot garden and companion planting methods. I tend to plant a lot of heritage varieties but also plant some hybrids. Some of what I grow is preserved to be enjoyed during our long winter months. I've been picking and preserving peas for a few days.

Peas & Beans

Beans and peas are grown in bed #3. I am elated at my pea yield this year! This has been the first time I've really had success growing peas. Other years they would grow just enough to tease then given almost nothing. This year I changed a couple of methods and varieties so I'm in the peas! In my opinion they are very nice looking peas, if I don't say so myself. I'm growing a few varieties as explained in my gardening blog, Garden Gnome Wanderings

Little Marvel Peas

Little Marvel Peas are a heritage variety pea. The pods are about 3" long, almost round and tightly packed with 7-8 very tender and very sweet peas. This is a very good freezing variety. The peas are a very nice size too! After the peas have been shelled, I'm getting about a quart a day. So now the next question is how to preserve these lovely little green pearls? Personally I refuse to either can or dry peas! I find I get the best results freezing peas.

Freezing Peas:
Shell the peas and wash. This is the time consuming part but not really difficult. Once the peas are shelled, put a pot of water on to boil. Once the pot is boiling add the peas and blanch 2 minutes. Drain and cool. Pack into container of choice. I prefer zip loc bags so I can use as needed. Label and freeze.


0 food lovers commented: