My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a wife, mother and grandma who enjoys the many aspects of homemaking. A variety of interests and hobbies combined with travel keep me active. They reflect the importance of family, friends, home and good food.
Cook ingredients that you are used to cooking by other techniques, such as fish, chicken, or hamburgers. In other words be comfortable with the ingredients you are using.
--Bobby Flay

For Your Information

Please watch this area for important information like updates, food recalls, polls, contests, coupons, and freebies.
  • [March 19, 2020] - Effective Mar 17, this blog will no longer accept advertising. The reason is very simple. If I like a product, I will promote it without compensation. If I don't like a product, I will have no problem saying so.
  • [March 17, 2020] - A return to blogging! Stay tuned for new tips, resources and all things food related.
  • [February 1, 2016] - An interesting report on why you should always choose organic tea verses non-organic: Toxic Tea (pdf format)
  • Sticky Post - Warning: 4ever Recap reusable canning lids. The reports are growing daily of these lids losing their seal during storage. Some have lost their entire season's worth of canning to these seal failures! [Update: 4ever Recap appears to be out of business.]

Popular Posts

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

A&W Coney Sauce Clone Recipe

I got my first job at A&W and only worked there the summer but that is where I met the love of my life.

This sauce was made on site by the owners. It is not to be confused with coney island sauce. The best I can describe it as is a make-shift chili style sauce but it isn't to be eaten as a chili. They used to put it on fries or hot dogs. They were very secretive of the recipe but I think I've cloned it rather well. Made correctly it will knock your socks off if eaten by itself but is just perfect with French fries! It freezes well so you can make a large batch then freeze in meal size portions.

Coney sauce starts out with a pound of lean ground beef. Back then it was actually their fat laden burger patties. Brown the ground beef with one finely chopped onion. Drain then pour in 2 tins of Campbell's tomato soup with about a half can of water. The soup is important because that is exactly what they used. Now here is where the fun part starts and I'm sorry I simply don't have measurements as I go by taste. I'm estimating the amounts to give you an idea.

coney sauce cookingConey Sauce Cooking

Next comes the seasonings. Add: onion powder, garlic powder,cumin, celery salt and paprika. Add cayenne pepper to taste. The sauce should have a real bite to it. Allow the sauce to simmer until thick. I think the sauce tastes better if it ages for at least a day. My husband can immediately tell if the sauce is freshly made.  It really needs a bit of time to meld the flavours together. 


coney sauce on friesConey Sauce on French Fries

Serve the sauce on French fries for a real taste sensation. As I mentioned above, the sauce was originally served on fries or hot dogs. It is delicious!  We very seldom eat hot dogs so I can't attest to taste of that combination but it was a very popular combination at the A&W we worked at. Talk about wonderful memories!


5 food lovers commented:

Unknown said...

I found your A&W Coney Sauce Clone Recipe article but there was no place to print a recipe. In fact there was no recipe in the article at all. Please would you check this out and repost this article. Would love to try that recipe. I love the coney sauce on A&W hotdogs. Thank You!!!!

Unknown said...

The recipe is actually written inside the article. Starts with the paragraph that says CONEY SAUCE.

Me said...

I've made this recipe a few times. We love it! The taste is perfectly authentic! Thanks again for this recipe.

Anonymous said...

No recipe???

Unknown said...

I am making this right now! My friend made it yesterday and loved it! It sounds like the sauce they made at the ice cream stand I worked in 50 years ago:)